Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Through a team of professionals committed to stewardship and organizational effectiveness, Finance Planning & Analysis (FP&A), together with its Finance colleagues, supports foundation leadership, Program Strategy Teams (PST) and programmatic Functions, Grantees/Vendors and Operations in:
- Making strong investments and monitoring effective, high ROI investments,
- Assessing and enhancing the health of strategic partners,
- Planning and monitoring team spending, and
- Improving financial and planning processes and systems.
The FP&A team strives to use common tools and approaches in the work we do to consistently support program teams and operations and to facilitate cross-FP&A process improvement, collaboration and support. Appropriate processes consistently applied should reduce financial risks and improve efficiency.
Leadership and Culture
We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things.
The Senior Finance Manager is a member of the FP&A team and is a dedicated, internal resource to the Global Development – Africa Office program team. The focus of the Africa team is to enable collective impact for the foundation in Africa by influencing policy and finance towards key development priorities, strengthening capacity and enabling systems for delivery, and innovating and leveraging cross-cutting enablers for impact at scale. The Senior Finance Manager must be successful at influencing through effective partnership and communication skills and should have experience using financial analysis and modeling skills in advisory roles. Other critical skills for success include a solution-orientation and a proactive approach to responsibilities. The ability to synthesize data and a good sense of humor are key, and most importantly, the candidate must be passionate about the foundation’s mission, particularly in addressing the global health inequities that exist today. Financial experience navigating matrixed organizations and not for profit experience a plus. This role is based at the foundation’s Seattle, WA headquarters with travel to Africa.
This role will support the Africa offices (Nigeria, Ethiopia & South Africa) and many of our local African partners therefore the candidate should expect to travel internationally (mainly to Africa) approximately 30+% of the time.
Strategy & Financial Planning
- Identify, perform analysis and provide leadership with strategic and financial information to support effective financial resource allocation and decision-making during strategy refreshes and reviews.
- Work closely with PST leadership and Program Officers to translate PST strategy into long-term investment forecast and annual plan. Create dynamic financial planning tools that support decision-making and communication with senior leadership.
Grant Pipeline/Payout Management
- Monitor actuals and forecasts against budget, including major risks.
- Create financial monitoring tools, including workflow management and monitoring tools, and partner with PSTs to manage grant and contract spending.
- Identify operational and financial risks of executing against annual budgets and propose mitigating strategies to the PST leadership.
- Facilitate and drive conversations with team and divisional leadership around critical operational and financial risks
- Perform financial and risk analysis to support investment-making and investment management. Partner with PSTs to structure effective investments and develop appropriate mitigating strategies to manage risk.
- Proactively engages and leads on organization due diligence to drive local partner sustainability.
- Ability to translate investment and organizational due diligence risks into structuring alternative.
- Benchmark costs where possible and make recommendations and provide advice to Program Officers in negotiating investments and sizing payments.
- Analyze business plans and examine the economics of a certain business; also analyze the financial health of organizations through discussions with CFOs and reviewing financial statements.
Cross-foundational / Project-based
- Participate in PST-related and cross-foundation projects to develop tools and best practices in support of effective investment-making, pipeline management and operational excellence.
- Participate in complex transactions and special projects for PSTs with significant financial analysis component.
- This role is responsible for high quality interactions and clear and consistent communications with grantees and partners in the field.
- Respond to internal and external portfolio data requests and analysis.
Core Knowledge and Skills
- Broad knowledge of finance (corporate, global markets)
- Knowledge of developing country economics and dynamics preferred, but not required
- Knowledge of risk management and due diligence
- Knowledge of systems and processes related to financial management
- Financial and strategic planning skills, including analytical, numerical and financial modeling skills
- Strong relationship building skills
- Business plan development and evaluation skills
- Ability to translate data into user friendly tools / resources
- Ability to communicate complex financial concepts to partners with diverse backgrounds, including leadership, program staff, grantees and other foundation stakeholders
- Synthesizing skills / ability to absorb and quickly distill significant amounts of information
- Intellectual curiosity and a growth mindset
- Ability to read and analyze financial statements
- Ability to influence without formal authority
- Ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and activities across multidisciplinary teams
- Negotiation skills
- Solution and action orientation
- Advanced Excel (pivot tables, VB Scripts, SQL) and facility with Tableau
- Bi-lingual English/French speaking would be beneficial in this role but not required
Education and Experience
- Advanced degree in a related field strongly preferred, with 8 – 10 years of experience, or equivalent experience.
For this role we are only able to consider applicants who have current work authorization in the USA and will not require employer-sponsored VISA support to begin or remain in this position. We can’t offer relocation assistance for this role and our preference is for candidates who are located in the Seattle, WA area or relocating on their own to the region in August 2019.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We’re committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve-in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs-and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve the mission of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to:
- Sexual Orientation
- Gender Identity
- Gender Expression
- National Origin
- Genetic Information
- Veteran Status
- Marital Status
- Prior Protected Activity
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: